The Prince Edward Island Acadian Quiz
The Sister Antoinette DesRoches Historical Committee invites you to participate in its history quiz. Please send your answers by mail or by e-mail at the latest on February 15.
The correct answers to the questions will be given one per day on weekdays beginning on February 18, Heritage Day. They will be given on Radio-Canada’s morning show “Le Réveil” at 88.1 FM, by email, and on Facebook. A summary of all the answers along with the names of the winners will be published in La Voix acadienne in the February 27 issue.
A) Five individual prizes. The winners will be able to choose one of the following books or an Acadian CD: Acadian Women of Prince Edward Island: Three Centuries of Action (Jacinthe Laforest and Georges Arsenault), Histoire du drapeau acadien (Maurice Basque et André Duguay), The Acadians of Summerside (Georges Arsenault), Acadian Mi-Carême: Masks and Merrymaking (Georges Arsenault), Peter’s Dream: Songs by Lennie Gallant, Paintings by Karen Gallant.
B) One prize for a school class. Teachers are invited to do this quiz with their students. A prize of $200 will be awarded to the winning class. The prize will consist of $100 in cash and a $100 gift certificate for the gift shop at the Acadian Museum.
1) Who was the first Acadian mayor of Summerside?
a) Henry Wedge
b) Frances Perry
c) Bill Martin
2) Who were the first two Acadian families to settled on Île Saint-Jean in 1720?
a) Arsenault and Haché dit Gallant
b) Arsenault and DesRoches
c) Martin and Haché dit Gallant
3) Who was the first Island Acadian to be named to the Order of Caanada?
a) J. Edmond Arsenault
b) Dr J. Aubin Doiron
c) Iphigénie Arsenault
4) In what year was the first Acadian Festival of the Evangeline Region held?
5) Who was the first president of the Société Saint-Thomas-d’Aquin (Saint Thomas Aquinas Society)?
a) Rev. Pierre Célestin Gauthier
b) Rev. Pierre-Paul Arsenault
c) Professor J. Henri Blanchard
6) In the 1860s, Acadians families with surnames Boudreault, Landry, Samson, Martel, Roy, LeBlanc settled in the Georgetown area. Where were they from?
a) Cheticamp, Cape Breton
b) Isle Madame, Cape Breton
c) Shediac, New Brunswick
7) Among the Island Acadians, what dish is associated with Mardi Gras?
a) Râpure (chiard)
b) Meat Pie
c) Rabbit fricot
8) Which was the first French-language school-community centre built on the Island?
a) Centre Belle-Alliance, Summerside
b) Carrefour de l’Isle-Saint-Jean, Charlottetown
c) Centre Grand-Rustico, Rustico
9) Which of these Acadian expressions is not of French origin?
10) Which Tignish Acadian is known for his exploration of Canada's Far North?
a) Joseph Bernard
b) Gilbert Buote
c) Frank Gallant
Send your answers by mail (postmarked no later than February 15) to : History Quiz, 65 Ambrose St., Charlottetown, PEI, C1A 3P8
By e-mail at: email@example.com